Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 77


Happy Easter! Today is Easter Sunday and it is the first holiday that I am away from family, which is why I thought it was best to spend it with Emily. She is some kind of family.
I slept until noon, as I was tired from traveling the day before. Emily was up about an hour before and went for a run. After she returned from her run she showered and I had some cereal and then I showered when she was done. After we got ready we headed into town to get things for dinner as tonight we were all cooking together and having a sit down dinner. The weather was cold and cloudy with rain showers throughout the day. That really does not bother me anymore as I am used to that kind of weather. Apparently I brought the rain with me because Emily informed me that the weather has not been like this all week. Of course it would get crappy when I come. Anyway, on the walk home from town I found five Euros on the sidewalk! J It took it as,  “Welcome to Ireland!” Ha-ha. Once back in the cottage we had some tea and chatted. Then around fiveish Emily and I began to cook our dish for dinner. Emily was making homemade mac and cheese and I was making a cake for dessert. Trish made chicken cutlets, Maureen made the salad and Laura made bbq chicken. The table was set up nicely with little Easter candies on the dishes and flowers in the middle. We all said grace before we ate and everything was so delicious. It was not a typical Easter dinner, but it was nice eating all together.
After dinner everyone helped clean up and then we got ready to go out to the pub. I was not expecting to go out because it was a holiday, but apparently Easter is a busy night to go out; who knew. After everyone was ready we all headed to town. Of course it was raining out and really windy, but we eventually made it to the pub. To my surprise the pub was really crowded to the point where you could not move. We got our drinks and then found a table to sit at. Maureen and myself stayed at the table while Emily and Trish headed to the bathroom. When they arrived back Trish held up this black object and said, “Look what happened!” I don’t know why, but when she held that black object I knew exactly what it was. It was the heel to her boot. Actually, they were Maureen’s boots that she bought from Italy for 75 Euros. I told her 75 Euros my butt. If a pair of shoes was that much, they should not break. Apparently, Trish got shoved and fell down the stairs, which led to the heel breaking. She hurt her back a little bit, but other than that she was ok. Now, she had to walk around on lopsided all night. It was a little funny to see that. After that little fiasco, Maureen and myself headed to the bathroom and when we arrived back there was a guy talking to Emily and Trish, who at this point were holding hands. Yes, Trish and Emily were pretending to be lesbians because they had no interest in this guy and he would not leave. He was persistent and just kept chatting them up. Thankfully one of Emily’s guy friends walked in and went over to the table to interrupt. Eventually, the guy finally left, but that was not the end of guys hitting on Emily. Trish went to get a drink with Martin, Emily’s friend, and this old creepy guy hit on Emily. He walked over, put out his hand to shake hers and said, “Let me tell you that you look gorgeous.” Emily was quick on her feet and held up her left hand, which she luckily had a ring on her ring finger. She proceeded to tell him that she was engaged, but that did not faze him. He continued talking to her and until she bluntly told him again that she was not interested and engaged, he said nice meeting you and then leaned over Emily to shake my hand and used the exact same opening line on me. I asked him what his name was and his response was, “My name is Patrick?” He said in a question tone as if he was confused about his own name. Anyway, he had to go as I looked at him and said in a bit of an attitude “Are you just going to around the whole table?” He was not offended at all, but he did pick up his drink, said, “nice meeting you ladies” and left, but once again that was not the end of getting hit on. When we were getting ready to leave we passed by this guy who was about our age and was cute. Now Emily and the other girls had no idea who this guy was, but apparently he knew we were Americans and he said, “Oh, you are Americans from Ohio,” as we passed. Now as cute as he was, I was not appreciating the fact that someone would think we were from Ohio. I mean, I have nothing against Ohio, but why Ohio out of all the states? I turn to him and say, “Actually, we are from New York so please never say we are from Ohio again, thanks.” It does not bother them one bit how rude you are to them. I actually think that makes them try harder. Anyway, we got the rest of the girls and as we were heading out of the pub, we say Ohio guy making out with his girlfriend. I tell you the Irish are shameless. The night was interesting and entertaining and there was never a dull moment. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

No comments: