Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 131


TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!! I am so excited! I woke up around 6:45 to make sure that I would be up and ready. Richard, Melody and Pierre had just arrived home from Amsterdam and we were all going to get breakfast, but there would not be enough time for that so we all just hung out in the twins flat. Emily, Philip, and Ben soon came over as well. Emily had made a slideshow of the time she had been there and showed it to us. It was so nice. I rang a taxi around eight and it literally showed up within seconds. That was the fastest Amber taxi has ever arrived. Everyone helped me with my luggage and then it was time for goodbyes. There were not that many tears, but I was surprised to hear that Philip was quite upset when I said goodbye to him. I was not expecting that. As I said goodbye to the twins they were crying a bit, but I know I will see them soon. I said goodbye to Brian last, as everything started with him anyway. I got in the taxi and watched everyone wave to me as the taxi drove off. I was not that upset, but when the thought began to sink in that I was actually leaving I began to get al watery eyed, but I didn’t cry because I don’t like crying in public. When I arrived at the airport I went over to check-in, which was quite a big line. When I got to the counter I checked my bags and had my two carrions. I didn’t think it would be a problem because that is exactly how I traveled over here, but apparently Leeds Bradford Airport only allows one carry on to every customer, so I had to check one. My backpack had my computer and all my other belongings I needed to get through the airport and my other bag had all my souvenirs and breakables in it. I checked the one with all my souvenirs because there was no way I was checking my computer and such. I was really worried, because I know how the airport personnel handle luggage. The guy was really nice and put all these fragile stickers on my bag and then told me where I could bring it so that it was actually handled with care. He also put a sticker on my bag saying that it was to be picked up planeside after the first flight. I was happy about that. After I checked everything in I went through security and then found a seat to wait for my flight. I was holding back tears while waiting, but I tried to keep busy by playing Sudoku. That did not really work so well, so I just people watched. When it was about ten the gate was available and I went over to board the plane. The flight was only about an hour to Amsterdam. Of course I slept the whole flight. Once the plane landed I got my carry on, picked up my other carry on planeside and then headed towards my gate. It was nice that I was in this airport just a few days ago because now I knew where I was going. I headed over to my gate, went through security once again and then waited for the flight to board. My layover was only two hours, which was not bad at all. At around 1:30 boarding had started. This plane was a lot bigger than the one that I was last on and there were a lot of people to board. We boarded by seat number so it was pretty organized. I was in seat 36D, which was middle row but I had an isle seat. I was really glad I had an isle seat. The girls I sat next to were from Russia so it was not so bad. The plane was late departing, but that was not a big deal. The only thing that got on my nerve sometimes was the guy who sat behind me. He was as tall as Keith and had long legs, which meant that they were stretched out completely under my seat so when I went to put my feet back I would always hit his feet or when my feet were back and he went to stretch out he would hit my feet. It was a bit annoying, but it could have been worse so I dealt with it. I slept for about the first hour and then I did not sleep the rest of the flight. When I woke up the attendants were coming around with drinks and a snack. It looked like peanuts, but they were smoked almonds, which were delicious. After that they handed warm towelettes right before our main meal. We had a bit of turbulence at one point and had to secure our seatbelts. Of course I was in the bathroom when it started to happen. Thank god I was exiting the bathroom and heading back to my seat at that point. After the ended the attendants came around with our next meal. For dinner or lunch or whatever meal it was at this point, I had a choice of pasta in a spinach sauce or salmon. Of course I chose the pasta. It came with this potato salad, which was not so good so I left that after a couple of bites. Then I moved on to the pasta and bread. The pasta was little shell shaped noodles covered in spinach sauce. Then for dessert I had these mini cream puffs that were drizzled with chocolate. It was quite delicious for plane food. To keep myself occupied on the plane ride, I updated my blog, as I was behind about two weeks. I also watched a movie called Sherlock Holmes. I enjoyed that. During the movie the flight attendants came around with little things of ice cream. It was some sort of toffee nut and caramel flavored ice cream. I could not really figure out what it exactly was, but it was tasty. Once I finished that I returned to watching my movie. After my movie ended the attendants were coming around with another snack. You had a choice of an English muffin size pizza or a slice of pecan pie. I chose the pizza, which was not the best, but it was edible. After that everyone had to fill out custom cards. Mine was pretty easy because I was a citizen returning to my home country, but it was a bit more complicated for the two girls next to me. They had to fill out these two forms and were a little lost as to how to do it. I asked them if they needed help, but they said they were ok so I let them be. Even the guy behind me asked me what something meant. Towards the end of the flight I was getting very anxious and antsy. There was about forty minutes left to go and I could not do anything but wait. The television was turned off and all electronics had to be put away. Those forty minutes were so long! We finally landed and I was so excited. I was so close to getting to see my parents! Little did I know it was going to take about another two hours until I actually got to see them.  Once everyone filed off the plane I got my things and headed to immigration and al that jazz. I loved how I got to go on the shorter line this time, as I am a citizen. I got through that line in about ten minutes which was not bad. Now all I had to do was collect my luggage. I got my first piece of luggage within the first ten minutes of standing there. Then I waited for about another half hour. At this point there was no more luggage coming down onto the belt and there was so much luggage going around, but of course mine was not there. I must say I was not the only one with missing luggage. I went over to this lady to ask what I do if I am missing a piece of luggage. She had this list of names and of course my name was on it. I had no idea what the list was for and was worried that something was wrong with my luggage. It turns out that my luggage didn’t make the flight and was on the next one. Figures. So now I had to file a report with the lady about my luggage. She told me that she would call later in the day with a reference number and I that I should be receiving my luggage tomorrow. I mean it was no big deal because I really didn’t need anything from that piece of luggage. I mean all it had was all my gifts for everyone and my clothes! I still had clothes back at home, but I wanted to wear some new clothes. Anyway, after that was all filled out I got myself excited to finally see my mom and dad for the first time in four months! I walked through the doors and around the wall to see all these people standing there waiting for their family members. I scanned the area for my parents, as it would be easy to spot a shiny baldhead, but to my disappointment there was no one there. I had always pictured this moment in my head and it went the total opposite of how I thought it was going to go. I always imagined me walking out and seeing my parents standing there with a sign saying welcome home and then tears would have been shed as we embrace each other in a big hug. Well, that didn’t happen. At this point I am just highly annoyed, aggravated, and upset, and to make things worse my phone had no battery. I have no idea how that happened because I never turned it on while I was overseas! So, I go to find a plug to charge my phone and see if my parents called me. I am standing at a corner in the airport all by myself, with my luggage charging my phone. Sure enough I have a message from my mom. I didn’t even bother to listen to it and I just called her cell. She picked up and I asked her where she was in a bit of an attitude and she said they were waiting for me to come out. She said look towards the back and you will see two balloons. Of course now, my vision would have worked, but it was too late. I told her I already walked out and I was over by a corner charging my phone. I directed her toward me. I saw the two balloons traveling through the crowd before I actually saw my mom and dad. When I saw them, I left my entire luggage and just started walking towards them. We all just began to cry and then we all embraced in a big hug and just cried in the middle of the airport. It was so nice to finally physically see my parents! It was not how I envisioned it, but it was still a great feeling. After that, I filled my parents in on what had happened with my luggage and then we headed towards the car and headed home. It was not that weird driving on the correct side of the road again, but I did forget how crazy New York drivers were. I mean Englanders are crazy drivers, but nowhere near to how crazy New Yorkers are. When we arrived home I went inside and say my little puppy. I missed him so much! He is so luscious. After saying hello to my puppy, I began to unpack my things. Keith arrived home first and then Cheryl came home. It was so nice to see both of them! I had dinner with everyone that night and then I got ready to go over to Ciano’s as she was having people over her house since she was home for the weekend. I first picked up Stack and then we picked up Michael and then we went to Ciano’s. I got to see Bogen, Erin, Melissa and some of the guys, which was really nice. I was really tired around ten but I knew I to try and stay up. I stayed up until about 12:30 and then headed home to bed as I was falling asleep on Ciano’s couch. It was a long day of traveling and jet lag has started to kick in, but I am so glad to finally be home!

No comments: